Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Weights and Cardio

My cardio has been getting better. I am trying to decrease the amount of time it takes me to run a mile. My goal at this point is 8 minutes on the treadmill. My record for the mile is just under 7 minutes, but it has been a long time since I have been able to keep up that pace. But 8 minutes on the treadmill is enough of a goal. I am now just under 10 minutes.

So I get to the gym and run a mile and then walk a mile at a fast pace at an incline. And then I cool down at a slow pace for about 5 minutes. Then I hit the weights.

I have been doing a weight routine that feels right to me, but I don't know if it is "right". I really want to get the Gracie Superfit book. It has an excellent training plan and would be a good model for judo. I have read through it in the bookstore on a number of occasions. In any case I can lift 30 lb dumbells for about 3 sets of ten. I alterate each arm standing. I have gotten a lot of attention lately from the men. They look at me lifting my 30 lb dumbells and then they give me another look and then they put down their weights and get some that are heavier. It is a good feeling in a way, but I would love to have a woman to work out with...someone built like me because I feel like a freak. I also do squats. I think I am just at 120lbs for deep squats. Then I do inclined situps with a medicine ball. I can't feel situps in my abs anymore which is a problem. Even with the medicine ball I still don't get that much of a workout. We are up to doing 80 (well the sensei does 80 but I can only usually get 70 during the same time period) in our judo class. If hubby is with me we do some medicine ball drills and plyometric stuff. If not I usually then do some assisted pull-ups and dips with a 40 lb counterweight in sets of ten. Then I stretch and usually do a few yoga stretching/balancing moves to ground me.

No comments:

 
Get your own free hit counter from SurferStats Counter!